Sweet Potato Chili
When fall weather is in full force, it’s chili time! This spice-laden meatless chili dish offers a different spin on the classic cold-weather staple. This quick and easy sweet potato chili is perfect for meatless Monday or any busy weeknight meal. It’s chock-filled with vitamins, minerals, protein, and cancer-fighting phytochemicals.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup bell pepper (red or green), diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 1/2 cups broth (any kind)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounces can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon flour or cornmeal (optional)
- Dollop Greek yogurt
- 3-4 Tortilla chips, crushed
- 1/8 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion appears to be softened, ~4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt and cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for ~12 minutes (until sweet potato is tender).
Add black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, bell pepper, lime juice, and molasses; bring to boil, stirring often. Add apple cider vinegar and reduce heat and simmer for another 5 minutes. *Use 1 Tablespoon flour or cornmeal to thicken the chili if desired.
*This recipe makes ~6 one-cup servings. Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt, crushed tortilla chips, or shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
*Enjoy! You can refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.